Hayley Elizabeth Atwell is an incredibly talented and gorgeous British and American actress. The 35-year-old actress is renowned for her performances in various theatrical productions such as A View From The Bridge, and on the big screen for the 2008 period-drama The Duchess, the historical drama miniseries titled The Pillars of the Earth (2010) and most prominently as Peggy Carter in a number of MCU movies and television shows. The beautiful actress has such a graceful persona that period projects suit her perfectly. However, here we present to you 27 amazing facts about Hayley Atwell that you might not know about.
1. Atwell’s birthplace is London, England, and she is the only child of her parents.
2. Hayley’s father Grant partly originates from Kansas City, Missouri, and he is a photographer cum Shaman, who also uses his original Native American name Star Touches Earth.
3. The other half of Hayley’s parents, her mother happens to be Alison, a British.
4. Hayley enjoys citizenship of both the UK and the US.
5. Her parents broke up when she was only, and her father went back to the US. Hayley grew up with her mother in Ladbroke Grove, London.
6. Although Hayley used to visit the US every summer to be with her father, she shared a great friendly bonding with her mother, instead of a regular mother and daughter relationship.
7. She studied at Sion-Manning Roman Catholic Girl’s School, London before taking A-levels at the London Oratory School.
8. Atwell got a chance to study Theology and philosophy at Oxford University, but, couldn’t achieve the necessary A-level grades. She later said “I think I kind of sabotaged it, to be honest. I remember after it all happened and it was clear I wasn’t going to go to Oxford I felt liberated.”
9. She spent two years traveling with her father and working for a casting director.
10. After coming back from her travels, Atwell joined the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, and she trained there for three years.
11. Her fellows at Guildhall included actress Jodie Whittaker, whom Atwell later mentioned as a “great friend” and Michelle Dockery, who went on to co-star with her in Restless.
12. Atwell also met TV writer Gabriel Bisset-Smith at Guildhall, and they had a long-term relationship later.
13. At the age of 9, she attended a Power Into Action workshop with her mother where she walked over hot coals.
14. She attended anti-vivisection and Free The Dolphins marches during her teenage years.
15. She was 8 when she saw Loyd Grossman toss a live lobster into boiling water. That’s when she committed to vegetarianism.
16. She unsuccessfully auditioned for the part of Dr. Carol Marcus in Star Trek: Into Darkness, a role that eventually went to Alive Eve.
17. You might not know, but Hayley Atwell played Lily James’ mother in Cinderella, despite being only seven years older to her.
18. Atwell is an expert ventriloquist.
19. Hayley Atwell shares her birthday with Lily James, her co-star in Cinderella. What is interesting to know is that they are both alumni of Guildhall School of Music and Drama.
20. she said that the most difficult word to utter with the American accent is “murderer.” Britons generally pronounce the word as “muh-d’ruh.”
21. Atwell’s first on-screen performance was in a TV commercial for Pringles potato crisps, during her Guildhall School days, and the earnings from that assignment were used by her to pay for her first-year tuition.
22. It took Hayley Atwell only eight months after she graduated from Guildhall to get her first movie role in Woody Allen’s 2007 film Cassandra’s Dream where she played stage actress Angela Stark.
23. Back in 2015, Atwell revealed how her portrayal of Peggy Carter influenced a tweet she shared with her 319,000 Twitter followers regarding the appearance of her digitally modified image on a German magazine’s cover.
24. Atwell had a long-term relationship with TV writer Gabriel Bisset-Smith that ended in December 2012.
25. Atwell resided in Primrose Hill area of London, but, in 2015, she moved to LA to be in the vicinity of Agent Carter’s production.
26. While filming for Captain America: The First Avenger in 2010, Atwell enrolled for a three-month course in art history and haiku.
27. An announcement was made on August 2, 2017, about Atwell starring as Evelyn in the live-action version of Disney’s Winnie The Pooh film to be directed by Marc Forster and co-starring Ewan McGregor.