Born on November 28, 1987, Karen Gillan is an actress, director, and screenwriter of Scottish origin. She is a gorgeous red-head who is not only extremely talented and has portrayed a variety of characters including science-fiction, superhero and lot more. One of her most prominent television characters was Amy Pond, who was a companion to the Eleventh Doctor in the famous BBC One science fiction series Doctor Who.
Despite her numerous roles, the one role which is presently keeping this gorgeous actress in the buzz is her ongoing portrayal of Nebula in various Marvel Cinematic Universe films including the presently running blockbuster Avengers: Infinity War. While in the MCU, her character is of a blue humanoid mercenary called Nebula, who is one of the daughters of the movie’s big bad Thanos and has revolted against her ruthless father. However, despite all the paint and scary cyborg sort of appearance, Nebula has still managed to win lots of fans’ hearts because her real beauty is extremely renowned. Earlier this year, her first film as a writer/director, titled The Party’s Just Beginning released. To celebrate her success, we present to you the 30 fascinating facts about Karen Gillan.
1. In the two Guardians of the Galaxy movies and also the recent release Avengers: Infinity War Gillan has played the character of Nebula which she is reprising in the underproduction sequel of Avengers: Infinity War as well.
2. She has played the character of Ruby Roundhouse in the recent hit Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle.
3. She spent her initial years in Inverness in Scottish Highlands.
4. She has no siblings, and her mother Marie is a singer whereas her father Raymond Gillian is a recording artist.
5. At the age of 16, she went to Edinburgh for an HNC Acting and Performance course at Telford College.
6. At 18, she relocated to London and studied at Italia Conti Academy of Theater Arts.
7. During her time at Italia Conti, a modeling agency scouted Gillan.
8. Gillan has said that she won’t be willing to go back to modeling now and admitted that though she loved modeling, her true goal was acting only.
9. She also said that she loves playing piano and hunting for vintage clothes.
10. Her code word was “Panic Moon” when she auditioned to play Doctor Who’s assistant and companion.
11. Her cousin is Caitlin Blackwood who had played the younger version of her character Amy Pond.
12. The readers of Doctor Who Magazine voted her as the Best Actress for her portrayal in the 2010 season of Doctor Who.
13. Karen and her companion Doctor Who, Matt Smith hold the distinction of being the youngest duo in the roles. Back in 2009, Matt was 26, and she was 21, giving them a combined age younger than Jon Pertwee who has played Doctor Who in the 1970s.
14. Karen said that as soon as she bagged the role of Amy Pond, she informed her mother first since she happened to be a big Doctor Who fan.
15. She has a close friendship with Katee Sackhoff.
16. Karen is much taller than Billie Piper who had earlier played the role of Doctor Who’s companion, and that forced them to redesign the Daleks on the series to accommodate her height.
17. A couple of years before getting cast as Amy Pond on the show, Karen played a guest role in one an episode titled Doctor Who: The First of Pompeii where she played a soothsayer.
18. She fell in love with situation comedy genre after she came to know about a Doctor Who parody titled “Inspector Spacetime.”
19. She had to shave her head to play Nebula in Guardians of the Galaxy.
20. Gillan has stated categorically that she is interested in playing a female villain in a future James Bond film and she would also love to play a female version of The Joker in a Batman film someday.
21. She played Kerry Newblood in the comedian Charlie Brooker’s series A Touch of Cloth.
22. In 2011, Gillan promoted a Fashion Targets Breast Cancer campaign and the inauguration of Squirrel Ward at the Great Ormond Street Hospital, London.
23. Despite being born in a Catholic family, Gillan revealed that she never got baptized and is more of an atheist who claims “we’re just minuscule dots in the vast cosmic emptiness of the universe.”
24. She appeared for an interview on The Late Late Show in 2012 and said that she had moved to the US to star in the film Oculus.
25. She has lent her voice for advertisements for eHarmony and The Royal Bank of Scotland.
26. Gillan made a television appearance for the Radio’s “Happy Idiot” music video which came out on October 3, 2014.
27. Gillan was the writer/director of her first short film, Coward, which was featured at 2015, Edinburgh Film Festival and got nominated for various awards.
28. Karen Gillan’s first theater act was as Shirley in John Osborne’s play Inadmissible Evidence alongside Douglas Hodge. The play premiered at Donmar Warehouse on October 16, 2011.
29. Back in November 2013, she was a part of a Broadway play titled Time to Act, which was among the plays in “The 24 Hour Plays on Broadway
” to support the non-profit Urban Arts Partnership.
30. Gillan loved Barbies as a child, and since she grew up watching American films and TV shows, she used to speak in an American accent when she pretended to speak as a doll during her playtime.
31. Despite being only two years short of graduating from high school, she left studies at the age of 16 to pursue a career in acting.